Achilles tendonitis is inflammation of the Achilles tendon, usually due to overuse.
- Pain and stiffness along the Achilles tendon usually in the morning
- Pain along the tendon and back of the heel that worsens with activity
- Severe pain after exercising or too much activity
- Thickening of the tendon
- Swelling that is present and gets worse throughout the day with activity
How Can Your Podiatrist Help?
Treatments exists to reduce strain on the tendon.
- Icing can reduce inflammation during the acute phase
- A heel lift can be used to reduce the strain on the tendon
- Orthotics and supportive footwear redistribute pressure and decrease strain on the tendon
- Cam (Moon) Boot to minimize the movement and give the tendon time to heal in more severe cases were a tear in the ligament is evident
- Exercises and stretching program to gradually strengthen and lengthen the tendon and reduce the likelihood of recurrence
- Surgery may be required in very severe cases